1. Akintoye, H. A., Klinga, J. G., and Lucas, E. O. 1999. N-use efficiency of single, double and synthetic maize lines grown at four N levels in three ecological zones of West African. Field Crops Research 60: 189-199.
2. Alcoz, M. M., Homs, F. M., and Haby, V. A. 1993. Nitrogen fertilization timing effect on wheat production, nitrogen uptake efficiency, and residual nitrogen. Agronomy Journal 85: 1198-1203.
3. Arregui, L. M., and Quemada, M. 2008. Strategies to improve nitrogen use efficiency in winter cereal crops under rain fed conditions. Agronomy Journal 100: 277-284.
4. Aslan, N. 2007. Application of response surface methodology and central composite rotatable design for modeling the influence of some operating variables of a multi-gravity separator for chromite concentration. Powder Technology 86: 769-776.
5. Barraclough, P. B., and Kyle, J. 2001. Effect of water stress on chlorophyll meter reading in winter wheat. P. 722-723. Horst, W.J. (Ed.). In: Plant nutrition-Food security and sustainability of agro-ecosystems. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands.
6. Box, G. E. P., and Hunter, J. S. 1957. Multi-factor experimental designs for exploring response surfaces. The Institute of Mathematical Statistics, p. 195-241.
7. Cassman, K. G., Dobermann, A., Walters, D. T., and Yang, H. 2003. Meeting cereal demand while protecting natural resources and improving environmental quality. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 28: 315-358.
8. Dawson, J. C., Huggins, D. R., and Jones, S. S. 2008. Characterizing nitrogen use efficiency in natural and agricultural ecosystems to improve the performance of cereal crops in low-input and organic agriculture systems. Field Crops Research 107: 89-101.
9. Dobermann, D. I., and Cassman, K. G. 2004. Plant nutrient management for enhanced productivity in intensive grain production of United States and Asia. Plant and Soil 247: 153-175.
10. Eickhout, B., Bouwman, A. F., and van Zeijts, H. 2006. The role of nitrogen in world food production and environmental sustainability Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 116: 4-14.
11. Gan, Y., Malhi, S. S., Brandt, S., Katepa-Mupondwa, F., and Stevanson, C. 2008. Nitrogen use efficiency and nitrogen uptake of juncea Canola under diverse environments. Journal of Agronomy 100: 285-295.
12. Genter, C. F., and Camper, H. M. 1993. Component plant part development in maize as affected by hybrids and population density. Agronomy Journal 65: 669-671.
13. Halvorson, A. D., Bartolo, M. E., Reule, C. A., and Berrada, A. 2008. Nitrogen effects on onion yield under drip and furrow irrigation. Agronomy Journal 100 (4): 1062-1069.
14. Harper, J. L. 1983. Approaches to the study of plant competition. Pp. 1-39. In: F.L. Milthorpe (Ed.), Mechanisms in Biological Competition. 15th Symposium of Society of Experimental Biology.
15. Hashemi-Dezfouli, A., and Herbert, S. J. 1992. Intensifying plant density response of corn with artificial shade. Agronomy Journal 84: 547-551.
16. Hatermink, A. E., Johnston, M. O., Sullivan, J. N., and Poloma, S. 2000. Nitrogen use efficiency of taro and sweet potato in the humid lowlands of Papua New Guinea. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 79: 271-280.
17. Horwitz, W., and Latimer, G. W. 2005. Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC), 18th Edition. Maryland, USA.
18. Huggins, D. R., and Pan, W. L. 1993. Nitrogen efficiency component analysis: an evaluation of cropping system differences in productivity. Journal of Agronomy 85: 898-905.
19. Koocheki, A., Nassiri Mahallati, M., Amiri, M. B., and Fallapoor, F. 2014. Optimization of nitrogen fertilizer and irrigation in wheat cultivation by central composite design. Journal of Agroecology. (in Press). (in Persian with English abstract).
20. Koocheki, A., Nassiri Mahallati, M., Mansory, A., and Moradi, R. 2012. Investigation of flow and nitrogen use efficiency in wheat production and consumption cycles (Triticum aestivum L.) and maize (Zea mays L.) in Iran. Journal of Agroecology 4 (3): 192-200. (in Persian with English abstract).
21. Koocheki, A., Nassiri Mahallati, M., Moradi, R., and Alizadeh, Y. 2015a. Evaluation of yield and nitrogen use efficiency of maize and cotton intercropping under different nitrogen levels. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research 13 (1):1-13. (in Persian with English abstract).
22. Koocheki, A., Nassiri Mahallati, M., Moradi, R., and Manssori, H. 2015b. Optimization of water, nitrogen and density in canola cultivation by central composite design. Journal of Agroecology 1 (3):1-16. (in Persian with English abstract).
23. Lopez-Bellido, L., Lopez-Bellido, R. J., Castillo, J. E., and Lopez-Bellido, F. J. 2001. Effects of long-term tillage, crop rotation and nitrogen fertilization on bread-making quality of hard red spring wheat. Field Crops Research 42: 197-210.
24. Moll, R. H., Kamprath, E. J., and Jackson, W. A. 1982. Analysis and interpretation of factors which contribute to efficiency of nitrogen utilization. Agronomy Journal 74: 562-564.
25. Montemuro, F., Maiorana, M., Ferri, D., and Convertini, G. 2006. Nitrogen indicators, uptake and utilization efficiency in a maize and barley rotation cropped at different levels and source of N fertilization. Field Crops Research 99: 114-421.
26. Nassiri Mahallati, M., and Koocheki, A. 2015. Trend analysis of nitrogen use and productivity in cereal production systems of Iran. Journal of Agroecology. (in Press). (in Persian with English abstract).
27. Nassiri Mahallati, M., Koocheki, A., Amin Ghafouri, A., and Mahluji Rad, M. 2015. Optimizing corm size and density in saffron (Crocus sativus L.) cultivation by central composite design. Journal of Saffron Agronomy and Technology 3 (3): 161-177. (in Persian with English abstract).
28. Nassiri Mahallati, M., Koocheki, A., Rezvani Moghaddam, P., and Beheshti, S. A. R. 2001. Agroecology. Ferdowsi University of Mashhad Press 459 pp. (in Persian).
29. Nunez, R., and Kamprath, E. J. 1969. Relationships between N response, plant population. And row width on growth and yield of corn. Agronomy Journal 61: 279-282.
30. Ortiz, R., Nurminen, M., Madsen, S., Rognil, O. A., and Bjornstad, A. 2002. Genetic gains in Nordic spring barley breeding over sixty years. Euphytica 126: 283-289.
31. Ozer, H. 2003. Sowing date and nitrogen rate effects on growth, yield and yield components of two summer rapeseed cultivars. European Journal of Agronomy 19: 453-463.
32. Rahimizadeh, M., Kashani, A., Zare Faizabadi, A., Koocheki, A., and Nassiri Mahallati, M. 2010. Investigation of nitrogen use efficiency in wheat-based double cropping systems under different rate of nitrogen and return of crop residue. Gorgan University of Agricultural Science and natural Research 3 (3): 125-142. (in Persian with English abstract).
33. Sadras, V. O., and Lawson, C. 2013. Nitrogen and water-use efficiency of Australian wheat varieties released between 1958 and 2007. European Journal of Agronomy 46: 34- 41.
34. Slafer, G. A., Andrade, F. H., and Feingold, S. E. 1990. Genetic improvement in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) in Argentina: Relationship between nitrogen and dry matter. Euphitica 50: 63-71.
35. Sowers, K. E., Pan, W. L., Miller, B. C., and Smith, J. L. 1994. Nitrogen use efficiency of split nitrogen application in soft white winter wheat. Agronomy Journal 86: 942-948.
36. Tetio-Kagho, F., and Gardner, F. P. 1988. Response of maize to plant population density. II. Reproductive development yield and yield adjustments. Agronomy Journal 80: 935-940.
37. Timsina, T., Singh, U., Badaruddin, M., Meisner, C., and Amin, M. R. 2001. Cultivar, nitrogen, and water effects productivity, and nitrogen-use efficiency and balance for rice–wheat sequences of Bangladesh. Field Crops Research 72:143-161.
38. Uhart, S. A., and Andrade, F. H. 1995. Nitrogen deficiency in maize: II. Carbon-nitrogen interaction effects on kernel number and grain yield. Crop Science 35: 1384-1389.
39. Waner, L. A., and Junttila, O. 1999. Cold-induced freezing tolerance in Arobidopsis. Journal of Plant Physiology 120 (2): 391-400.
40. Wenxue, L., Long, L., Jianhao, S., Tianwen, G., Fusuo, Z., Xingguo, B., Peng, A., and Tang, C. 2005. Effects of intercropping and nitrogen application on nitrate present in the profile of an Orthic Anthrosol in Northwest China. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 105: 483-491.
41. West, M. L. 2006. Response of corn hybrids to varying plant population densities. Field Crops Abstract, 42:8569.
42. Wolton, W. 2005. Leaf area index and radiation as related to corn yield. Agronomy Journal 65: 459-461.
43. Wu, C. F. J., and Hamada, M. 2000. Experiments: planning, analysis, and parameter design optimization. New York.
44. Zhao, D., Reddy, K. R., Kakani, V. G., Read, J. J., and Carter, G. A. 2003. Corn (Zea mays L.) growth, leaf pigment concentration, photosynthesis and leaf hyperspectral reflectance properties as affected by nitrogen supply. Plant and Soil 257 (1): 205-218.