1. Akintoye, H. A., Klinga, J. G., and Lucas, E. O. 1999. N-use efficiency of single, double and synthetic maize lines grown at four N levels in three ecological zones of West African. Field Crops Research 60: 189-199.
2. Alcoz, M. M., Homs, F. M., and Haby, V. A. 1993. Nitrogen fertilization timing effect on wheat production, nitrogen uptake efficiency, and residual nitrogen. Agronomy Journal 85: 1198-1203.
3. Arregui, L. M., and Quemada, M. 2008. Strategies to improve nitrogen use efficiency in winter cereal crops under rain fed conditions. Agronomy Journal 100: 277-284.
4. Bahrani, A., and Tahmasebi Sarvestani, Z. 2006. Effects of rate and time of nitrogen fertilizer on yield, yield component, and dry matter remobilization efficiency in two winter wheat cultivars. Journal of Agricultural Sciences Islamic Azad University 12 (2): 369-376. (in Persian with English abstract).
5. Bell, M. A., Fischer, R. A., Byerlee, D., and Sayre, K. 1995. Genetic and agronomic contributions to yield gains: A case study for wheat. Field Crops Research 44: 55-65.
6. Bingham, I. J. 2005. Agronomic approaches for modifying root systems of field crops: opportunities and constraints. Aspects of Applied Biology 73: 169-178.
7. Biswas, C. R., and Benbi, D. K. 1997. Nitrogen balance and N recovery after 22 years of maize–wheat–cowpea cropping in a long-term experiment. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 47: 107-114.
8. Bock, R. H. 1984. Efficient water use of nitrogen in cropping system. Pp. 273-294. In: “Hauck, R.D. (ed.). Nitrogen in Crop Production. ASA, CSSA, SSSA”. Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
9. Cassman, K. G., Dobermann, A., and Walters, D. I. 2002. Agroecosystems, nitrogen use efficiency and nitrogen management. Ambio 31: 132-140.
10. Cassman, K. G., Dobermann, A., Walters, D. T., and Yang, H. 2003. Meeting cereal demand while protecting natural resources and improving environmental quality. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 28: 315-358.
11. Cerrato, M. E., and Blackmer, A. M. 1990 Comparison of models for describing; corn yield response to nitrogen fertilizer. Agronomy Journal 82: 138-143.
12. Daneshmand, A., Shirani Rad, A. H., Noormohammadi, G., Zeraei, G., and Daneshian, J. 2007. Effect of water stress and nitrogen fertilizer on grain yield, yield components, nitrogen uptake and water and nitrogen use efficiency in two of canola cultivars. Iranian Journal of Crop Science 8 (4): 323-342. (in Persian with English abstract).
13. Dawson, J. C., Huggins, D. R., and Jones, S. S. 2008. Characterizing nitrogen use efficiency in natural and agricultural ecosystems to improve the performance of cereal crops in low-input and organic agriculture systems. Field Crops Research 107: 89-101.
14. Dobermann, A., and Cassman, K. G. 2005. Cereal area and nitrogen use efficiency are drivers of future nitrogen fertilizer consumption. Science China Life Sciences 48: 1-14.
15. Dobermann, D. I., and Cassman, K. G. 2004. Plant nutrient management for enhanced productivity in intensive grain production of United States and Asia. Plant and Soil 247: 153-175.
16. Eickhout, B., Bouwman, A. F., and van Zeijts, H. 2006. The role of nitrogen in world food production and environmental sustainability Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 116: 4-14.
17. Emam, Y., Ahmadi, A., and Pesarakli, M. 2005. Effect of different methods of cultivation with residue management and nitrogen levels on wheat yield and yield component in Fars province conditions. Iranian Journal of Field Crop Science 41 (4): 841-850. (in Persian with English abstract).
18. Fageria, N. K., and Baligar, V. C. 2005. Enhancing nitrogen use efficiency in crop plants. Advances in Agronomy 88: 97-185.
19. Fahong, W., Xuqing, W., and Sayre, K. 2004. Comparison of conventional, flood irrigated, flat planting with furrow irrigated, raised bed planting for winter wheat in China. Field Crops Research 87: 35-42.
20. Fixen, P. E., and West, F. B. 2002. Nitrogen fertilizers: meeting contemporary challenges. Ambio 31: 169-176.
21. Gaju, O., Allard, V., Martre, P., Snape, J. W., Heumez, E., LeGouis, J., Moreau, D., Bogard, M., Griffiths, S., Orford, S., Hubbart, S., and Foulkes, M. J. 2011. Identification of traits to improve the nitrogen-use efficiency of wheat genotypes. Field Crops Research 123: 139-152.
22. Gan, Y., Malhi, S. S., Brandt, S., Katepa-Mupondwa, F., and Stevanson, C. 2008. Nitrogen use efficiency and nitrogen uptake of juncea Canola under diverse environments. Journal of Agronomy 100: 285-295.
23. Gastal, F., and Lemaire, G. 2002. N uptake and distribution in crops: an agronomical and ecophysiological perspective. Journal of Experimental Botany 370: 789-799.
24. Giller, K. E., Chalk, P., Dobermann, A., Hammond, L., Heffer, P., Ladha, J. K., Nyamudeza, P., Maene, L., Ssali, H., and Freney, J. 2004. Emerging technologies to increase the efficiency of use of fertilizer nitrogen. In: Mosier A. R., Syers J. K., Freney J. R. (Eds.), Agriculture and the Nitrogen Cycle. Island Press, Washington, D.C., pp. 35-51.
25. Gliessman, S. R. 1997. Agroecology: Ecological Processes in Sustainable Agriculture. Arbor Press. 357 pp.
26. Hatermink, A. E., Johnston, M. O., Sullivan, J. N., and Poloma, S. 2000. Nitrogen use efficiency of taro and sweet potato in the humid lowlands of Papua New Guinea. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 79: 271-280.
27. Hauggaard-Nielsen, H., Ambus, P., and Jensen, E. S. 2001. Interspecific competition, N use and interference with weeds in pea barley intercropping. Field Crops Research 70: 101-109.
28. Ho, M. D., Rosas, J. C., Brown, K. M., and Lynch, J. P. 2005. Root architectural tradeoffs for water and phosphorus acquisition. Functional Plant Biology 32: 737-748.
29. Hobbs, P. R., Sing, Y., Giri, G. S., Lauren, J. G., and Dusbury, J. M. 2000. Direct seeding and reduced tillage options in the rice- wheat systems of the Indo-Gangetic plain of South Asia. Paper presented at IRRI workshop, Bangkok, Thailand, 25-28 January, 2000.
30. Horwitz, W., and Latimer, G. W. 2005. Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC), 18th Edition. Maryland, USA.
31. Hossain, M. I., Islam, M. K., Sufian, M. A., Meisner, C. A., and Islam, M. S. 2006. Effect of planting method and nitrogen levels on the yield and yield attributes of wheat. Journal of Biosciences 14: 127-130.
32. Hossain, M. I., Meisner, C., Duxbury, J. M., Lauren, J. G., Rahman, M. M., Meer, M. M., and Rashid, M. H. 2004. Use of raised beds for increasing wheat production in rice-wheat cropping systems, New directions for a diverse planet: proceedings of the 4th International Crop Science Congress, 26 Sep.–1 Oct., 2004, Brisbane, Australia.
33. Huggins, D. R., and Pan, W. L. 1993. Nitrogen use efficiency components analysis: an evaluating of cropping system differences in productivity. Agronomy Journal 85: 898-905.
34. Jat, M. L., Gupta, R., Saharawat, Y. S., and Khosla, R. 2011. Layering precision land leveling and furrow irrigated raised bed planting: productivity and input use efficiency of irrigated bread wheat in indo-gangetic plains. American Journal of Plant Sciences 2: 578-588.
35. Koocheki, A., Borumand Rezazadeh, Z., Nassiri Mahallati, M., and Khorramdel, S. 2012. Evaluation of nitrogen absorption and use efficiency in relay intercropping of winter wheat and maize. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research 10 (2): 327-334. (In Persian with English abstract).
36. Koocheki, A., Khorramdel, S., Fallahpour, F., and Mellati, F. 2010. Evaluation of radiation absorption and use efficiency in row intercropping of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and canola (Brassica napus L.). Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research 11 (4): 533-542. (in Persian with English abstract).
37. Koocheki, A., Nassiri Mahallati, M., Bakhshaee, S., and Davari, A. 2017. A meta analysis of nitrogen fertilizer experiments for cereal crops in Iran. Journal of Agroecology 9 (2): 296-313. (in Persian with English abstract).
38. Koocheki, A., Nassiri Mahallati, M., Moradi, R., and Alizadeh, Y. 2015. Evaluation of yield and nitrogen use efficiency of maize and cotton intercropping under different nitrogen levels. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research 13 (1): 1-13. (in Persian with English abstract).
39. Kukal, S. S., Humphreys, E., Thaman, S., Singh, B., and Timsina, J. 2010. Factors affecting irrigation water savings in raised beds in rice and wheat. Field Crops Research 118: 43-50.
40. Lemaire, G., Jeuffroy, M. H., and Gastal, F. 2008. Diagnosis tool for plant and crop N status in vegetative stage: theory and practices for crop N management. European Journal of Agronomy 28: 614-624.
41. Li, Q. Q., Chen, Y. H., Liu, M. Y., Zhou, X. B., Dong, B. D., and Yu, S. L. 2008. Effects of irrigation and planting patterns on radiation use efficiency and yield of winter wheat in North China. Agricultural Water Management 95: 469-476.
42. Lopez-Bellido, L., Lopez-Bellido, R. J., Castillo, J. E., and Lopez-Bellido, F. J. 2001. Effects of long-term tillage, crop rotation and nitrogen fertilization on bread-making quality of hard red spring wheat. Field Crops Research 42: 197-210.
43. Lopez-Bellido, R. J., and Lopez-Bellido, L. 2001. Efficiency of nitrogen in wheat under Mediterranean conditions:effect of tillage, crop rotation and N fertilization. Field Crops Research 71: 31-46.
44. Ma, B. L., Dwyer, L. M., and Gregorich, E. G. 1999. Soil nitrogen amendment affects on nitrogen uptake and grain yield of maize. Agronomy Journal 91: 650-656.
45. Majeed, A., Muhmood, A., Niaz, A., Javid, S., Ahmad, Z. A., Shah, S. S. H., and Shah, A. H. 2015. Bed planting of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) improves nitrogen use efficiency and grain yield compared to flat planting. The Crop Journal 3 (2): 118-124.
46. Meisner, C. A., Acervedo, E., Flores, D., Sayre, K., Ortizmonasterio, L., and Byerlee, D. 1992. Wheat production and grower practices in the Yaqui Valley, Sonora, Mexico. Wheat Special Report. No. 6. Mexico, D F CIMMYT.
47. Miran Zadeh, H., and Emam, Y. 2010. The effect of nitrogen and Cloro-macovat-clorid on seed yield, dry matter and water efficiency on 4 cultivar of wheat. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research 8 (6): 636-645.
48. Moles, D. J., Rangai, S. S., Bourke, R. M., and Kasamani, C. T. 1984. Fertilizer responses of taro in Papua New Guinea. In:S. Chandra (Ed.), Edible Aroids. Clarendon Press, Oxford, pp. 64-71.
49. Mollah, M. I. U., Bhuiya, M. S. U., and Kabir, M. H. 2009. Bed planting: a new crop establishment method for wheat in rice-wheat cropping system, Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development 7: 23-31.
50. Muurinen, S., and Peltonen-Sainio, P. 2006. Radiation-use efficiency of modern and old spring cereal cultivars and its response to nitrogen in northern growing conditions. Field Crops Research 96: 363-373.
51. Naroki, F. A., Vaezi, B., and Bavi, V. 2009. Determination amount of advisable nitrogen for improving quantity and quality characters of three new durum wheat lines. Iranian Crop Sciences Journal 41 (3):583-595. (in Persian with English abstract).
52. Nassiri Mahallati, M., and Koocheki, A. 2014. Trend analysis of nitrogen use and productivity in cereal production systems of Iran. Journal of Agroecology 8 (3): 607-621. (in Persian with English abstract).
53. Nelson, L. A., Voss, R. D. and Pesek, J. T. 1985. Agronomic and statistical evaluation of fertilizer response. P. 53-90. In: O.P. Engelstad (Ed.) fertilizer technology and use. 3rd Ed. ASA, Madison.
54. Nunez, R., and Kamprath, E. J. 1969. Relationships between N response, plant population. And row width on growth and yield of corn. Agronomy Journal 61: 279-282.
55. Olesen, G. E., Petersen, B. M., Bernsten, G., and Hansen, S. 2002. Comparison of methods for simulating effects of nitrogen on green area index and dry matter growth in winter wheat. Field Crops Research 74: 131-149.
56. Ortiz, R., Nurminen, M., Madsen, S., Rognil, O. A., and Bjornstad, A. 2002. Genetic gains in Nordic spring barley breeding over sixty years. Euphytica 126: 283-289.
57. Rathke, G. W., Behrens, T., and Diepenbrock, W. 2006. Integrated nitrogen management strategies to improve seed yield, oil content and nitrogen efficiency of winter oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.): A review. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 117: 80-108.
58. Raun, W. R., and Johnson, G. V. 1999. Improving nitrogen use efficiency for cereal production: a review. Agronomy Journal 91: 357-363.
59. Sabahi, H., and Ghalavand, A. 2005. Comparison on uptake, utilization and losses of nitrogen in organic, integrated and conventional fertilization methods in winter rapeseed (Brassica napus L.). Environmental Science 6: 15-27. (in Persian with English abstract).
60. Salvagiotti, F., Castellari, J. M., Miralles, D. J., and Pedro, H. M. 2009. Sulfur fertilization improves nitrogen use efficiency in wheat by increasing nitrogen uptake. Field Crops Research 113: 170-177.
61. Sayre, K. D., and Morens Romos, O. H. 1997. Application of raised bed planting system to wheat. Wheat Program Special Research 31. CIMMYT, Mexico. P. 14-22.
62. Semenov, M. A., Jamieson, P. D., and Martre, P. 2007. Deconvoluting nitrogen use efficiency in wheat: A simulation study. European Journal of Agronomy 26: 283-294.
63. Shah, S. S. H., Hassan, A., Ghafoor, A., and Bakhsh, A. 2003. Soil physical characteristics and yield of wheat and maize as affected by mulching materials and sowing methods, Plant, Soil and Environment 32: 14-21.
64. Shahsavari, N., and Saffari, M. 2005. The effect of different levels of nitrogen on the function and elements of the varieties of wheat in Kerman. Pajouhesh & Sazandegi 66 (4): 82-87. (in Persian with English abstract).
65. Slafer, G. A., Andrade, F. H., and Feingold, S. E. 1990. Genetic improvement in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) in Argentina: Relationship between nitrogen and dry matter. Euphitica 50: 63-71.
66. Sowers, K. E., Pan, W. L., Miller, B. C., and Smith, J. L. 1994. Nitrogen use efficiency of split nitrogen application in soft white winter wheat. Agronomy Journal 86: 942-948.
67. Stevens, W. B., Hoeft, R. G., and Mulvaney, R. L. 2005. Fate of nitrogen-15 in a long-term nitrogen rate study. I. Interactions with soil nitrogen. Agronomy Journal 97: 1037-1045.
68. Sylvester-Bradley, R., and Kindred, D. R. 2009. Analysing nitrogen responses of cereals to prioritize routes to the improvement of nitrogen use efficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1939-1951.
69. Tittonell, P., Zingore, S., Van Wijk, M. T., Corbeels, M., and Giller, K. E. 2007. Nutrient use efficiencies and crop responses to N, P and manure applications in Zimbabwean soils: exploring management strategies across soil fertility gradients. Field Crops Research 100: 348-368.
70. Waraich, E. A., Saifullah, R. A., and Ahmad, S. 2010. Raised bed planting- a new technique for enhancing water use efficiency in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) in semi-Arid zone. Iranian Journal of Plant Physiology 1 (2): 73-84.
71. West, M. L. 2006. Response of corn hybrids to varying plant population densities. Field Crops Abstract 42: 8569.
72. Witcombe, J. R., Hollington, P. A., Howarth, C. J., Reader, S., and Steele, K. A. 2008. Breeding for abiotic stresses for sustainable agriculture. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 363: 703-716.
73. Wolton, W. 2005. Leaf area index and radiation as related to corn yield. Agronomy Journal 65: 459-461.
74. Zhang, W., and Zhang, X. 2007. A forecast analysis on fertilizer consumption worldwide. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 133: 427-434.