1. Abubakari, A. H., Bayor, H., Takyi, I., Chimsah, F. A., Nyarko, G., Atuah, L., and Banful, B. 2016. Effect of compost-biochar mixes and irrigation on the growth and yield of Amaranthus (Amaranthus hybridus) under two growing temperatures. African Journal of Agricultural Research 11 (25): 2257-2265.
2. Akhondian, J., Parsa, A., and Rakhshandeh, H. 2007. The effect of Nigella sativa (black cumin seed) on intractable pediatric seizures. Medical of Science Monit 13: 555-559.
3. Akhtar, S. S., Andersen, M. N., and Liu, F. 2014. Biochar enhances yield and quality of tomato under reduced irrigation. Agriculture of Water Management 138: 37-44.
4. Arif, M., Asad, A., Umair, M., Munsif, F., Kawsar, A., Inamullah, M., Saleem, M., and Gohar, A. 2012. Effect of biochar, FYM and mineral nitrogen alone and in combination on yield components of maize. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture 28 (2): 191-195.
5. Aslam, Z., Khalid, M., and Aon, M. 2014. Impact of biochar on soil physical properties. Scholarly Journal of Agricultural Science 4 (5): 280-284.
6. A.O.A.C. 2000. Association of Official Agricultural Chemists, Official and Tentative Methods of Analysis, 2nd ed., Washington, DC, USA.
7. Azeem, M., Hayat, R., Hussain, Q., Ahmed, M., Imran, M., and Crowley, D. 2016. Effect of biochar amendment on soil microbial biomass, abundance, and enzyme activity in the mash bean field. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences 8: 1-13.
8. Baldock, J. A., and Skjemstad, J. O. 1999. Soil Organic Carbon/Soil Organic Matter. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne.
9. Berek, A. K., Hue, N., and Ahmad, A. 2011. Beneficial use of biochar to correct soil acidity. The Food Provider. Available at Website http:// www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/huen/nvh/biochar.
10. Boskabady, M. H., Javan, H., Sajady, M. and Rakhshandeh H. 2007. The possible prophylactic effect of Nigella sativa seed extract in asthmatic patients. Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology 21: 559-566.
11. Choudhary, N., and Singh Sekhon, B. 2011. An overview of advances in the standardization of herbal drugs. Journal of Pharmacy Education Research 2 (2): 55-70.
12. Chaudhry, U. K., Shahzad, S., Naqqash Abdul Saboor, M. N., Yaqoob, S., Salim, M., and Khalid, M. 2016. Integration of biochar and chemical fertilizer to enhance quality of soil and wheat crop (Triticum aestivum L.). Peer Journal Pre Prints. Available at Web site https://doi.org/10.7287/peerj.preprints.1631v1.
13. Demisie, W., and Zhang, M. 2015. Effect of biochar application on microbial biomass and enzymatic activities in degraded red soil. African Journal of Agricultural Research 10: 755-766.
14. Dempster, D. N., Gleeson, D., B., Solaiman, Z. M., Jones, D. L., and Murphy, D. V. 2010. Biochar addition to soil changed microbial community structure and decreased microbial biomass carbon and net inorganic nitrogen mineralized. In 19th World Congress of Soil Science, Soil Solutions for a Changing World, Brisbane, Australia.
15. Dume, B., Mosissa, T., and Nebiyu, A. 2016. Effect of biochar on soil properties and lead (Pb) availability in a military camp in South West Ethiopia. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 10:77-85.
16. Foster, E. J., Neil Hansenc, B., Matt Wallenstein, B. D., and Cotrufoa, F. 2016. Biochar and manure amendments impact soil nutrients and microbial enzymatic activities in a semi-arid irrigated maize cropping system. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 233:404-414.
17. Freddo, A. 2013. Biochar: for better or for worse? Ph.D. dissertation, University of East Anglia School of Environmental Science.
18. Ghamarnia, H., Miri, E., and Ghobadei, M. 2014. Determination of water requirement, single and dual crop coefficients of black cumin (Nigella sativa L.) in a semi-arid climate. Irrigation Science 32 (1):67-76.
19. Gokila, B., and Baskar, K. 2015. Influence of biochar as soil amendment on yield and quality of maize. International Journal of Plant, Animal and Environmental Sciences 5:152-155.
20. Haider, G. 2016. Biochar as a Beneficial Soil Amendment in Sandy Soils. Ph.D. thesis. Department of Plant Ecology, Faculty of Biology and Chemistry Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Germany.
21. Horwath, W. R., and Paul, E. A. 1994. Microbial biomass. In: DR Buxton (ed.), Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2: Microbiological and Biochemical Properties. ASA and SSSA. Madison, WI.
22. Ibrahim, O. M., Bakry, A. B., El Kramany, M. F., and Elewa, T. A. 2015. Evaluating the role of biochar application under two levels of water requirements on wheat production under sandy soil conditions. Global Journal of Advanced Research 2 (2): 411-418.
23. Jemal, K., and Abebe, A. 2016. Determination of bio-char rate for improved production of Lemmon grass. International Journal of Advanced Biological and Biomedical Research 4 (2): 149-157.
24. Khosroshahi, M., 2013. Estimating water requirement of Prosopis juliflora at different habitates of Persian Gulf - Aman Sea region of Iran. Iranian Journal of Forest and Poplar Research 21 (2): 300-315.
25. .Klut, A. 1986. Method of Soil Analysis: Physical, Chemical and Mineralogical Methods. Soil Science Society of America. Madison, Wiscosin, USA, 432-449.
26. Lehmann, J., Rillig, M. C., Thies, J., Masiello, C. A., Hockaday, W. C., and Crowley, D. 2011. Biochar effects on soil biota: A review. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 43: 1812-1836.
27. Mukherjee, A., Lal, R., and Zimmerman, A. R. 2014. Effects of biochar and other amendments on the physical properties and greenhouse gas emissions of an artificially degraded soil. Science of the Total Environment 487: 26-36.
28. Mukherjee, A. 2011. Physical and Chemical Properties of a Range of Laboratory-Produced Fresh and Aged Biochars. Doctoral Dissertation, Geological Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
29. Mukome, F. N. D., Six, J., and Parikh, S. J. 2012. The effects of walnut shell and wood feedstock biochar amendments on greenhouse gas emissions from a fertile soil. Geoderma 200(201):90-98.
30. Nelson, N. O., Agudelo, S. C., Yuan, W., and Gan, J. 2011. Nitrogen and phosphorus availability in biochar-amended soils. Soil Science 176, 1. doi:http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1097/SS.0b013e3182171eac.
31. Nelson, B. W., and Sommers L. E. 1982. Total carbon, organic carbon, and organic matter. In: Page A.L, Miller R.H and Keeney D.R (eds). Methods of soil analysis part 2. Chemical and microbiological properties. The American Society of Agronomy. Madison, Wisconsin. 539-577.
32. Nigussie, A., Endalkachew Kissi, E., Misganaw, M., and Ambaw, G. 2012. Effect of biochar application on soil properties and nutrient uptake of lettuces (Lactuca sativa) grown in chromium polluted soils. American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture and Environment Science 12 (3): 369-376.
33. Njoku, C., Uguru, B. N., and Chibuike, C. C. 2016. Use of biochar to improve selected soil chemical properties, carbon storage and maize yield in an Ultisol in Abakaliki Ebonyi State, Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental and Agriculture Research 2: 15-22.
34. Olsen, S. R. and Sammers, L. E. 1982. Phosphrous. In: Page A.L, Miller R. Hand Keeney D.R (eds). Methods of soil analysis part 2. Chemical and microbiological properties. The American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin. 403-427.
35. Pühringer, H. 2016. Effects of different biochar application rates on soil fertility and soil water retention in on-farm experiments on smallholder farms in Kenya. Master´s thesis, Independent Project in Environmental Science, Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences, Department of Soil and Environment, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
36. Rab, A., Rabnawaz Khan, M., Ul Haq, S., Zahid, S., Asim, M., Afridi, M.Z., Arif, M., and Munsif, F. 2016. Impact of biochar on mungbean yield and yield components. Pure and Applied Biology 5(3): 632-640.
37. Schouten, S. 2010. Biochar for sustainable agricultural development. A critical review of biochar for carbon management and the improvement of agricultural production systems. Institute of Environmental Sciences, Leiden.
38. Schulz, H., Dunst, G., and Glaser, B. 2014. No effect level of co-composted biochar on plant growth and soil properties in a greenhouse experiment. Agronomy 4: 34-51.
39. Shabanzadeh, Sh., Ramroudi, M., and Galavi, M. 2011. Influence of micronutrients foliar application on seed yield and quality traits of black cumin in different irrigation regimes. Journal of Crop Production and Processing 1 (2):79-89.
40. Sika, M. P. 2012. Effect of biochar on chemistry, nutrient uptake and fertilizer mobility in sandy soil. Thesis presented in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree Master of Science in Agriculture. University of Stellenbosch. ISSN 1818-6769.
41. Teat, L. 2014. Yield and physiological responses of the bioenergy crop miscanthus × giganteus to fertilizer, biochar and drought. Partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Science. Graduate School at Appalachian State University.
42. Widowati, W. H. 2012. The effect of biochar on the growth and N fertilizer requirement of Maize (Zea mays) in green house experiment. Journal of Agricultural Science 4 (5): 256-262.
43. Zhang, H. 2014. Biochar Effects on Soil Microbial Biomass and Activity. Ph.D. dissertation, The University of Guelph, Canada.